Today I made my first trip to the Capital City Club’s Crabapple course with a couple of great friends to watch America’s best Mid-Am’s compete.
The course was immaculate, staff and volunteers were engaging and welcoming, and my burger and fries were definitely worth the $15 price tag.
Out of 264 participants, only fourteen are under par after one round.
We followed our old buddy Clay Guerin for the majority of our time at the course. Clay and I go back to Central Alabama Community College and Auburn University. While at Auburn, Clay and I won the university’s intramural golf tournament three years in a row. The moral of that story is to pick great teammates. War Damn Intramural Golf.
- Guerin finished with a solid two over 72 that left him sitting at T38 after day one. If he can mimic that round Monday morning, then he will most likely find himself within the top 64 moving on to matchplay.
- Chad Wilfong of Charlotte, NC and Joshua Irving of Dallas, TX are at the top of the leaderboard after day one. Both finished three under.
- Stewart Hagestad, last year’s Mid-Am Champ, played the Atlanta National track and is currently T38 after carding a two over 73.
- 2017 US Senior Amateur Champion, Sean Knapp, played Crapapple and also finished two over par.
- High score of the day goes to Patrick Bader of St. Louis, MO. Bader qualified for the Championship with a 70 in a qualifier at Meadowbrook CC in St. Louis. Unfortunately, the Golf gods were not shining down on Bader.
Due to weather, play was cancelled for Sunday and will be resumed Monday morning.
Good luck, Boys.
Hit ’em straight!